To engage in independent research of Sri Lanka’s international relations and strategic interests, and to provide insights and recommendations that advance justice, peace, prosperity, and sustainability.
The Lakshman Kadirgamar Institute (the LKI) is named after the late Lakshman Kadirgamar, P.C., M.P., and three-times Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister. The Institute is the realisation of a goal actively pursued by the late Minister, to fulfill the country's need for a think tank. The Institute also reflects Minister Kadirgamar’s vision for Sri Lanka, by promoting the country’s intellectual profile in the field of foreign policy research and engagement.
Housed at 'The Lighthouse', the LKI occupies a building steeped in contemporary Sri Lankan history, having been built by Mr. D. D. Peiris in Cinnamon Gardens. The premises were acquired by the British Board of Trade in 1933, and housed the Imperial Lighthouse Service of Ceylon and Minicoy until 1976, when ownership was transferred to the Sri Lankan Navy. It has belonged to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs since 1977.